Sunday, February 23, 2014

Guatemala, Part Twelve: The Duck of the Lake

I've already posted this on FaceBook, but I'd like to make a more permanent record of it, so here it is:

On our first evening in Pana, Tesi looked out at beautiful Lake Atitlan and said that there was supposed to be some special duck that lives there. I was not surprised to hear Asa speaking my own thoughts in reply: "You mean a special _species_ of duck, or a special _individual_ duck?" Then I heard myself slowly exclaiming, in a weird creaky old voice, "Ah, yes, my grandfather used to feed that very same duck so many years ago. Old Quaxolotl!"

No comments:

About Me

I am a professor of mathematics. (I began calling myself "Empty" or Ø when hanging around at blogs, because I am somewhat fixated on the empty set. Students and colleagues know that I can be a bit of an ancient mariner about it.)